Beaver Creek Church of the Brethren
Leadership Team Meeting
August 20, 2020
Present: Ann Healy, Candy Hensley, Joe LaPrade, Amy Saum, Zack Wampler, Brian Whitmore, Bill Wood. Ex-Officio: Ryan Cooper – Pastor, Darlene LaPrade – Church Clerk, Tess Southerly. Absent: John Jordan, Kenny Wheelbarger.
Zack called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. and opened with devotions.
The minutes from the July meeting were approved.
Calendar Roundtable: September 6 – Sunday School teacher recognition, September 12 – Brethren Woods Golf Blast, September 20 – Baptism and New Member Service, September 26 – National Day of Prayer, October 4 – World Wide Communion Sunday (Bread & Cup only), November 23-25 – Pastor Ryan on vacation, December 26-January 1 – Pastor Ryan on vacation
The Treasurer’s report was discussed and approved. Families of loved ones will be contacted as to how memorial funds are to be used.
Matters for the Leadership Team:
- The First Sunday Breakfast will continue to be on hold for now.
- The Men’s Fellowship Steak Dinner will be cancelled.
- Facilities team reported that the chair lift is not feasible due to fire codes
- The positions of Moderator, Financial Secretary and Church Clerk are needed for 2021
- Pastor Ryan met with Outreach and Youth. Outreach team is planning for 2021 and beyond. Some ideas in the making are: making cookies for teacher appreciation, Community Clean-up Day, helping with the Food Pantry, and Beaver Creek Cares. The youth would like to meet outside of Sunday School with one regularly scheduled monthly meeting which would include outreach projects and fundraisers for NYC.
- Pastor Ryan reported that as of now, COVID restrictions will likely continue into 2021. He is looking for meaningful ways to conduct Christmas activities such as Hanging of the Greens and Christmas Eve Service.
- Joe reported that team budgets need to be in by next Thursday.
- The Pastor’s compensation package was discussed (see attached reports). After some discussion, Joe made a motion to accept the Pastor’s compensation package as presented. Bill seconded the motion and it was approved. Mowing of the parsonage lawn will continue to be the church’s responsibility.
- After discussion, Bill made a motion to give a raise to church staff in accordance with the District guidelines. The motion was seconded by Joe and was approved.
- The October Congregational Business meeting will start at 12:15 on October 25. There will be no meal due to COVID restrictions. Tess will inform Robert Alley of this change.
- After reviewing the church bank accounts, it was noted that a large sum of money has been in a regular savings account for some time. After discussion about the interest earning potential of the Vanguard Life Strategy Fund, Ann made a motion to move $100,000.00 from the Park View savings to the Vanguard Life Strategy Fund. Joe seconded the motion and it was approved. The Finance Team will carry out this motion and it will be revisited in a year.
New Business: None
The meeting was adjourned at 8:12 p.m.
Next Meeting – September 17
Darlene LaPrade – Church Clerk