Here are the combined responses received by Leadership Team members on our church-wide canvas December 6:
Results from Spiritual Emphasis Sunday
December 6, 2015
Currently our spiritual life is closely related to regular Sunday School classes and worship services, with some Bible studies at other times. Are these formats fulfilling? What additional formats for spiritual growth should we consider?
Jr High/Sr High
- Wednesday prayer meetings again.
- Service projects – food pantry.
- Liked 5th Sunday praise service.
- Liked the renewal service.
- One person appreciates daily scriptures
- A lot of opportunities; Diverse society & new questions are arising.
- Content of curriculum is old, need to update. New atheist mock Christians.
- More Progressive curriculum.
- Cross generation study/discussion of Acts was enlightening & different.
- More topical study. Group lesson, conference style but do not diminish SS classes.
- Perhaps, flip Sunday school and worship in the summer
- Bible study doing SS time – people are already there.
- Bible study fulfilling.
- Spiritual renewal excellent time for spiritual growth. Should have more often than 3-5 years
- Church open on occasion for members to drop in and pray.
- Regular prayer meeting is important for corporate prayer; Logistics of when?
- Hard to get a lot of interest in the Bible studies.
What should we do to enrich the spiritual life of the church – that is, anything related to scripture, prayer or witness?
Jr High/Sr High
- Daily email scripture helps keep spiritual connection with the church.
- Wonder if having a “prayer group” would help.
- For witnessing: Food pantry, open doors, even the block party helps us connect.
- Class or workshop on witnessing???
- We are active with Food pantry, backpack program, Open doors.
- Foster services, Bridge of Hope; Where there is a need.
- Outreach is the beginning of sharing.
- Maybe a welcome packet/flyer for new visitors about worship, SS classes, etc. Maybe Jesus Calling.
- Some feel spiritual growth is an individual thing.
- Make most of Sunday school hour.
- Be seen in the community as a body of Christ when we witness to others.
- Get people interested in being part of the church – lack of participation in church related activities.
- Should have some teaching on the effectiveness and how to witness to others.
- Apply love to everything.
- One felt no revivals a factor.
What materials do you find the most useful for spiritual growth – Bible study books, sharing occasions, contemporary movies (like Fireproof or War Room), or other materials?
- Need good materials for Jr High.
- Bible Study materials, but the sharing and dialog are crucial.
- Movies really help connect.
- People are different, doubt “one size” can fitsall. Opportunity for all learning types.
- People more visual now. Video discussion & book.
- Variety – consistent, planned out so doesn’t overwhelm.
- Quarterly calendar given out with activities, when & where, who is doing what.
- Fidelis recommends “Truth Project,” something they are doing outside of Sunday school.
- Videos can provide discussions.
- Movies – an avenue to reach unsaved.
- Lent campfire vespers: block party
- Glad to see altar call being given.