Beaver Creek Church of the Brethren
Leadership Team Meeting
August 21, 2014

Present:  Jeanette Hess, Candy Hulvey, Donna Miller, Evy Kaye Sandin, Denise Shiflet, Kenny Wheelbarger, Bill Wood, Charles Wright.  Ex-Officio:  Glenn Bollinger – Pastor, Darlene LaPrade – Church Clerk.  Absent:  Marlin Simmons.

Donna Miller called the meeting to order at 7:03 p.m.
Glenn Bollinger opened with devotions.
The minutes from the previous meeting were approved.
The Treasurer’s report was distributed and approved.
The Master Calendar was updated.

Focus Team Reports:

Ministry:  Bill Wood reported that the team is studying the paper on Ministry that was adopted by Annual Conference.  This paper involves a change in expectations for a required mentorship.  More information can be found on the church website.

Congregational Care:  Bill Wood reported that the new soundboard has been installed.  Sean Dunn held a training session for those interested in helping with the sound system.

Deacons:  Bill Wood reported that the Deacons will meet on September 7.

Worship:  Candy Hulvey reported that most seem pleased with the new way of giving announcements at the beginning of the service.  A CCLI Copy License, which will allow items to be projected on the screen, will cost $196.00 yearly.

Christian Education:  Jeanette Hess reported that Sunday School teachers have been secured for fall.  The team is still working on Nursery helpers.  Teacher Appreciation Sunday and 3rd grade Bibles will be given out on September 7.  New materials have been ordered for Junior Highs and the Elementary Age group.

Fellowship:  Denise Shiflet reported that attendance at the Church Retreat was very good.  John Jantzi led the Vesper Service.  Dates for next year’s retreat will be September 18-20.  The breakfast on August 31 will be French Toast.  A movie night will be held on September 5 at the church.  The youth will serve ice cream sundaes as a fundraiser.  A Fall Vesper Service will be held on September 21.

Outreach:  Kenny Wheelbarger reported that the team is working on the Heifer Project and the Shoebox Project.  A volunteer list is being developed for the backpack program.  The choir is planning to help pack the backpacks on Wednesday nights.

Finance:  Charles Wright reported that the team met on August 6 to work on the budget.  The team discussed the fact that the giving reported weekly in the bulletin is not a good representation of where the church is financially.  A better way to report this information would be to report the amount given weekly and give a quarterly report on how the giving compares to the budget needs.  A recommendation from the Finance Team to report weekly giving in the bulletin and give a full report quarterly was proposed. These reports will be in the bulletin and the newsletter.  The recommendation passed.  Charles made an amendment to the recommendation that we will continue to report the year to date giving.  The team continues to work on an offering teller program.  He will bring a recommendation to the Leadership Team at a later date.

Facilities:  Donna Miller received a report from Roger Simmons.  The team met with the heating system repairman who reported that the heating system is on life support.  The team is getting bids for 3 contractors to replace the furnace.  The team is also getting estimates on carpet cleaning, painting, and tree trimming.  They continue to work on small jobs, such as electrical work.

Pastor’s Report:  Glenn reported that with fall approaching there will be more activities resuming in the church.  The service start time will continue to be 10:30 am. until after Homecoming.  Jonathan Shively will be our guest speaker on October 5.  Love Feast will also be held on October 5.  Annual Conference delegates will be sharing during the Sunday School hour on August 31.

Old Business:  [There was a discussion of Deacon nominations. Full minutes are available from the Church Clerk].  Bill Wood will ask the congregation for deacon nominations this Sunday.  Nominations can be placed in the offering plates.

New Business:  A first draft of the proposed 2015 budget was presented.  [After a lengthy discussion, the Leadership Team did not have a completed budget for the October council meeting but did have changes in line items and their location in the budget. No new line items were added; additional action from two teams was necessary before a final budget total would be available. Complete minutes are available from the Church Clerk; and the budget as proposed will be available one week in advance of the October council meeting.]

Donna and Mike Suter will work together to re-work the budget changes.  The budget will go back to the Finance Team with the changes.  The Finance Team will meet on August 27.  Outreach and Missions Team will also work on the changes suggested.

Other Business:  The Leadership Team went into a closed session to discuss the Pastor’s recommended salary and benefits for the 2014 budget. The recommendation will go into the budget presentation for the October council  meeting.

 The meeting was adjourned at 9:40 pm.

August minutes approved