Beaver Creek Church of the Brethren
Leadership Team Meeting
June 19, 2014 

Present:  Jeanette Hess, Candy Hulvey, Donna Miller, Evy Kaye Sandin, Denise Shiflet, Kenny Wheelbarger, Bill Wood, Charles Wright.  Absent:  Marlin Simmons.  Ex-Officio:  Glenn Bollinger – Pastor, Darlene LaPrade – Church Clerk.  Other Church Members:  Roger Simmons.

Donna Miller called the meeting to order at 7:00 pm.
Kenny Wheelbarger opened with devotions.
The minutes from the previous meeting were approved.
The Treasurer’s report was distributed and approved.
The master calendar was passed around for updates.

Focus Team Reports:

Christian Education:  Jeanette Hess reported that the team is working on securing Sunday School teachers for the fall.  Donna inquired as to whether a Brethren Woods Camp Representative has been appointed.  The team will have one for next year.  Tess will inform Brethren Woods when someone has been appointed.

Deacons:  Bill Wood reported that there will be a Bread and Cup Communion on June 29.  The Deacons continue with their visitations.

Ministry:  Bill Wood reported that the team has given their 6 month report to Tess. 

Congregational Care Team:  Bill Wood reported for Jane Wood.  Bill Wood will serve as the replacement editor for the church newsletter while Regina is serving as interim Pastor.

Worship:   Candy Hulvey reported that July 13 will be a commissioning service for those attending National Youth Conference, and August 3 will be NYC Sunday.  The team has checked their polity and has no changes to suggest.  The Homecoming Service on September 14 will start at 10:30 am.

Fellowship:  Denise Shiflet reported that the fellowship time before Sunday School continues to go well and is well attended.  There will be a Waffle Bar this Sunday before Sunday School.  The Church Retreat will be held on August 15-17.

Finance:   Charles Wright reported the team met on May 29.  They continue to work on developing a process for counting and handling the offering.  They would like to implement the new process by the end of the year or the beginning of next year.  The Assistant Financial Secretary will coordinate offering tellers to count the offering after the service.  Their 6 month report has been completed by the team secretary and has been sent to Tess.  The team continues to review the polity and parts need revisions. Charles reminded teams that they should be working on next year’s budget.  Guidelines will be given at the next Leadership meeting.  A completed budget should be given to the Leadership Team for the September meeting.  Teams should complete their budgets in August.

Outreach:  Kenny Wheelbarger reported that the team is working on the Shoe Box and the Heifer Projects.  The first Sunday offering in August will go to the Backpack program.  They are still working on their 6 month report.  Donna suggested that someone from the team should inform the congregation where the first Sunday offering is going the Sunday before the offering is collected.

Facilities:  Roger Simmons reported for the Team.  The team completed a walk-through at the Parsonage.  An ice machine will be installed in the kitchen.  It will be financed by four different groups.  The team continues to work on their 6 month report.  They are also working on planting new trees and shrubs to replace the ones cut down.

Pastor’s Report:   Glenn reported that he spent the previous week at Brethren Woods and stressed the importance of the Helping Hands fund to help unchurched children to attend camp.  Offerings and attendance traditionally decline during the summer months but the church continues to be very active during this time with outdoor worship, Bread and Cup communion, Annual Conference, Vacation Bible School, National Youth Conference, Junior High Workcamps, and the Church Retreat.  Glenn asked members to keep in mind several tragedies and sicknesses in the District and the community.

Old Business:  Donna reported that Darlene LaPrade has agreed to be nominated as Financial Secretary and Robert Alley has agreed to be nominated for Moderator.  A nomination for Church Clerk is still needed as well as nominations for Deacons.

According to the IRS, we need to provide an expense log for Steele and Alice Dunn to report their spending (log available with full minutes from the church clerk).  Glenn and Donna are working on an e-mail to Steele and Alice explaining the IRS requirement for the expense log.  Glenn reported that they are sending an activities report.  A discussion followed about their mission and what they are doing.  It was suggested that Steele and Alice should be included in the e-mail that will go out to the Focus Teams on when their budget is due.  This e-mail will be sent out by the Finance Team.

Donna reminded teams that a 6 month report of team activities for January thru June is due at the July meeting.

New Business:  A letter was received from the Bridgewater Area Food Pantry (see attached letter) asking that we provide two representatives from Beaver Creek.  Mike Suter is a representative and one more is needed.  Outreach will work on getting another representative.

Under the revised Church Polity, it is unclear as to who is responsible for handling the Pastor’s Annual Review.  This was the responsibility of the Executive Committee under the old Polity.  Charles Wright made a motion that the responsibility for the Pastor’s Annual Review and Compensation rest with the Leadership Team.  Jeanette Hess seconded the motion and it was approved.

A discussion was held about the evaluations of the custodian, Pastor, Secretary, and Treasurer.  Donna will check with the District Office for forms/guidelines.

Other Business:  None.

Polity Review:   The following are changes that have been made so far:

Article 1:  1(B): should read “excluding its own membership”

2:  Trustees need to be re-appointed every 3 years on the ballot

Article 2:  2:  “role” changed to “roll”

Article 3:  5:  Annual Review?

Article 4:  3:  “non-voting” changed to “voting”

5:  “Leadership Team” changed to “Finance Team”

6:  “shall prepare and provide annual giving statements for all contributions” added

We will start with By-Laws Article 5 – Leadership Team Responsibilities next month.  Donna asked members to please review and bring suggestions and thoughts to next meeting.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:35 pm.

June minutes approved