Beaver Creek Church of the Brethren
Leadership Team Meeting
December 19, 2013

Present: Tim Grove, Regina Harlow, Ann Healy, Bob Hess, Jeanette Hess, Donna Miller, Denise Shiflet, Roger Simmons, Bill Wood, Jane Wood, Charles Wright. Ex-Officio: Glenn Bollinger – Pastor, Darlene LaPrade – Church Clerk. Absent: None.

Tim Grove called the meeting to order at 7:04 pm.

Donna Miller opened with devotions.

The minutes from the previous meeting were approved.

The Treasurer’s Report was distributed and approved.

Calendar Roundtable:

  • Deacons: January 5 – Bread and Cup Communion
  • Pastor: February 2 – Congregational Business Meeting, Fundraiser Meal provided by the Koinonia Class,
  • January 15 – Team reports due to Tess
  • Fellowship Team: January 12-Carry-in meal to welcome Robert Alley
  • Worship Team: December 29 – Take down decorations in the church

Focus Team, Deacons and Pastor Concerns:

Outreach and Missions Team: Salvation Army bell ringers are still needed on Saturday, December 21 from 3-4 pm.

Ministry Team: The team recommends that Greg Evans and Regina Harlow be approved for re-licensure. Bob Hess made a motion to approve Greg Evans and Regina Harlow for re-licensure. Roger Simmons seconded the motion and it was approved.

Congregational Care Team: Daniel Over will replace Regina Harlow in 2014.

Pastor: A concern about someone serving on a team that is not a member was brought up. This concern needs to be looked in to with regards to the church polity. National Youth Conference registration is coming up. This will be discussed with the youth at their Christmas party. The Christian Education and Discipleship Team will make sure youth are registered.

Facilities Team: None

Finance Team: None

Worship Team: None

Christian Education and Discipleship Team: None

Fellowship Team: None

Old Business: A recommendation from Tess and Glenn was presented to replace the office copier. They are recommending purchasing an IR1730 Cannon copier from Valley Office Machines for $1896.35. The maintenance fee will be $470.00 yearly which includes toner. They also recommend purchasing a second drawer for $321.00 and a cabinet for $123.20. Valley Office Machines will deliver and set up the copier for $270.00. Jeanette Hess made a motion to purchase the recommended copier with the set up. Roger Simmons seconded the motion and the motion was approved.

New Business: Regarding non-members to serve on Focus Teams, Bill Wood made the following two part motion. (1) In 2014, read Article 8 of Polity as anyone active in the church be able to serve as a member of a Focus Team, (2) Request next year’s Leadership Team to clarify the wording of Article 8 of the Polity for future years. A comment was made that someone serving on the Leadership Team should be a church member. After some discussion, Roger Simmons seconded the motion and the motion was approved.

Bob Hess made a motion that we give a $500.00 cash gift to Glenn and Debbie Bollinger for Christmas/Sabbatical. Jeanette Hess seconded the motion and the motion was approved.

The Leadership Team was joined by current team members and out-going team members.

Tim Grove reminded Focus Teams to meet regularly as often as needed, take minutes and submit them to Tess for church records, recruit members for you team as needed, work with other teams as appropriate, bring questions about team duties, budget, concerns to the Leadership Team. Each team should have a Leadership Team representative, Chair, and Secretary (1 person can serve 2 roles).

Bill Wood clarified the purpose of the Calendar Roundtable for the new members.

A suggestion was made to communicate with the congregation what each team is doing and to pass down team responsibilities each year to the team chair. This should also be given to Tess for church record.

Feedback about New Organization Format:

  • Congregational Care Team needs a new name
  • Extremely important for teams to meet regularly
  • Give minutes to Tess. She will keep a file of each teams’ minutes for 3 years
  • Like flexibility and format
  • Glenn is happy to meet with any team if requested
  • Information from each team should be given to Regina for the newsletter
  • Glenn will get copies of the Church Polity to new members.
  • Tim thanked everyone that has served and will serve on a team.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:21 pm.

December minutes approved