Beaver Creek Church of the Brethren
Leadership Team Meeting
September 17, 2020
Present: Ann Healy, Deborah Hoover, Joe LaPrade, Amy Saum, Zack Wampler, Bill Wood. Ex-Officio: Ryan Cooper – Pastor, Darlene LaPrade – Church Clerk, Tess Southerly. Absent: John Jordan, Kenny Wheelbarger, Brian Whitmore.
Zack called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. Ann opened with devotions.
The minutes from the August meeting were approved with a correction about the date of the congregational business meeting.
Calendar Roundtable: October 4 – Bread and Cup Communion, December 10 – Leadership Team meeting and re-organization, December 24 – Christmas Eve Services (7:00 p.m. and 11:00 p.m.)
The Treasurer’s report was discussed and accepted.
Matters for Leadership Team:
- The positions of moderator and financial secretary need to be filled. Several individuals have been asked to serve as moderator and we are waiting for a reply. [A member of the church] has been asked to serve as financial secretary.
- Brethren Woods has been hit hard financially due to COVID-19. They have cut some positions and others are taking a pay cut. We have money left in the budget for campers who wish to attend but did not because of the virus. Pastor Ryan made a recommendation to give a one-time gift to Brethren Woods for $828.00 which is the amount left in the 2020 budget for Brethren Woods. Deborah made a motion to accept this recommendation. It was seconded and approved.
- Budget – Added $400.00 to the Homecoming line item. After a discussion about the issues currently in the Church of the Brethren, a motion was made to edit the line item of the budget from COB Mission and Ministry Board to Mission and Ministry. This line item is budgeted for $3000.00. The motion was seconded and approved.
- The issues surrounding the Church of the Brethren and the Covenant Brethren Church were discussed. The Leadership Team agreed that Pastor Ryan should communicate with the congregation by letter of the issues at hand. Pastor Ryan will draft a letter to be sent out this week.
- Bill made a motion to approve the budget as amended. The motion was seconded and approved.
Old Business: The change in polity regarding the Treasurer position will be presented for a vote during the November 1 Congregational Business meeting. The agenda and slate will be approved by the Leadership Team members via e-mail.
New Business: None
The meeting was adjourned.
Next Meeting – October 15
Darlene LaPrade – Church Clerk