Beaver Creek Church of the Brethren
Leadership Team Meeting
July 9, 2020
Present: Ann Healy, Deborah Hoover, Joe LaPrade, Amy Saum, Zack Wampler, Kenny Wheelbarger, Bill Wood. Ex-Officio: Ryan Cooper – Pastor, Darlene LaPrade – Church Clerk, Tess Southerly. Absent: John Jordan, Brian Whitmore.
Zack called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. Bill opened with devotions.
The minutes from the June meeting were approved with a correction.
Calendar Roundtable: August 14-16 – Church Retreat, July 26-September 6 – New Member/Baptism classes (Sundays only), September 13 – Baptism
Matters for the Leadership Team:
- Joe reminded teams that they should start thinking about their budget for 2021
- The Steak Dinner is usually held in September. Joe asked for input from the Leadership Team on whether to cancel or not due to COVID-19. The Men’s Fellowship will make the final decision.
- Pastor Ryan would like to meet with each Focus Team. He met with the Christian Ed. Team where the children and youth programs were discussed. The team wants to get more input from Theresa and Chris. Pastor Ryan wants to meet with the Fellowship Team by the end of the month.
- Pastor Ryan asked for prayers for our Denomination which is struggling with upheaval and uncertainty. The Denomination will end this year with a shortfall in their budget.
- District Conference will be held virtually at 5 different host sites. Our delegates are John Wright, Pastor Ryan, Theresa Eckard, and Zack Wampler.
- The Worship Team met and feels like Beaver Creek should continue to hold worship as it is for now. Some members would like to have singing and no social distancing during worship. This will be an ongoing discussion until we are able to meet without restrictions.
- Pastor Ryan received positive feedback from the Bread & Cup Communion served during the outdoor worship. Small cups with lids were used for the individual bread and juice servings.
- Zack continues to investigate the feasibility of a chair lift for the stairs. He will contact the Facilities Team to work with him. Pastor Ryan reported that Sylvia Brunk’s and Sheldon Simmons’s memorial funds are to be used for church enhancement.
New Business: The Worship Team will develop a 2-week plan for worship in case Pastor Ryan would need to self-isolate due to contact with the virus.
The meeting was adjourned at 7:32 p.m.
Next meeting – August 20
Devotions – Zack
Darlene LaPrade – Church Clerk