Beaver Creek Church of the Brethren
Leadership Team Meeting
August 16, 2018

Present:  Theresa Eckard, Jeanette Hess, John Hoover, Reba Kline, Joe LaPrade, Amy Saum, Kenny Wheelbarger.  Ex-Officio:  Bill Wood-Deacon Chair, Elaine McGann-Interim Pastor, Darlene LaPrade-Church Clerk.  Absent:  Chris Dastoli, Candy Hensley, Donna Miller-Treasurer.

Jeanette called the meeting to order at 7:04 p.m.

John opened with devotions.

The minutes from the July meeting were approved.

Calendar Roundtable:  Sept.2 – First Sunday breakfast at 9:15, Sunday School starts at 9:45, Worship begins at 11:00, Sept. 29 – Men’s Fellowship Steak Dinner, Oct. 3 – Communion Bread making at 6:00 p.m., Oct. 7 – Love Feast, Oct. 21 – Congregational Business Meeting following a carry-in meal.

The Treasurer’s report was approved.

Joe reminded teams that their budget is due by the end of August.

Focus Team Reports:

Worship Team:  Reba introduced a motion from the Worship Team to use $600.00 from the Hospitality Fund to cater a meal during Spiritual Renewal services.  The meal will be on September 16 at 5:30 p.m.  The motion was approved by the Leadership Team.

A question was raised as to who will trim the shrubbery bordering the cemetery.  Jeanette will discuss this concern with Denny Miller.

A suggestion was made that we invest in more headsets for use during worship.  The Leadership Team asked Bill to order 2 more headsets with money from the Evangelistic Fund.

Jeanette will check with Donna about the separate account for the parsonage rent.

Pastor’s Report:  Elaine has been documenting her hours for anyone that would like to see them.  Elaine will be out of town on October 28, 2018.  She is also looking to take 2 weeks off in November.

Search Committee Report:  The committee continues to look for profiles from Pastors.  There have not been any new profiles to consider.  The committee discussed the possibility of seeking part-time pastors instead of a full-time pastor.  The committee decided that we are not ready to consider that at this time.

Old Business:  The renters of the parsonage are moving out before the end of the month.  After discussion. Joe made a motion to pro rate the rent for August with consideration of pro rating the electric bill as well.  Kenny seconded the motion and it was approved.  The Facilities Team will facilitate this motion.

New Business:  A question was raised about the need for a ballot vs slate for electing a chair and chair-elect.  The consensus was that a slate would be acceptable.

Chad Rhodes has requested transfer of membership.

The district has asked each church to list some joys and concerns regarding their church.  Our joys are that we are blessed with a welcoming and high functioning congregation that has a depth of talents.  Our strength is our members that are not only open and friendly but are also willing to step up when they see a need and answer yes when called upon.  Our concerns are our need of a full-time pastor and the lack of pastoral candidates for us to even consider or interview.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:09 p.m.

Next Meeting:  September 20

August minutes approved