Beaver Creek Church of the Brethren
Leadership Team Meeting
March 20, 2014
Present: Jeanette Hess, Candy Hulvey, Donna Miller, Denise Shiflet, Marlin Simmons, Kenny Wheelbarger, Bill Wood, Charles Wright. Ex-Officio: Darlene LaPrade – Church Clerk. Absent: Glenn Bollinger, Evy Kaye Sandin.
Donna Miller called the meeting to order at 7:02 pm.
Jeanette Hess opened with devotions.
The minutes from the previous meeting were approved.
The Treasurer’s report was distributed and approved.
The master calendar was passed around for each team to add events. Donna reminded everyone that there is a fundraiser for Open Doors being held on March 22.
Focus Team Reports:
Worship: Candy Hulvey reported that the Sunrise Service will be held on Sunday, April 20. There will be a carry-in meal after church on March 30 to show appreciation to Pastor Alley and all that helped during Glenn’s sabbatical. The Fellowship Team will help with set-up for the meal.
Christian Education: Jeanette Hess reported that it is not certain if a Brethren Woods camp representative is needed. If one is needed, securing a rep would fall under Christian Ed. Team, not Outreach. Jeanette will follow up with Tess and Debbie regarding this matter.
Facilities: Marlin Simmons reported that a walk-through of the church has been completed. The outside lights have been fixed.
Deacons: Bill Wood reported that the Deacons have been doing extra visitation during Glenn’s sabbatical and their extra efforts have been appreciated.
Ministry: Bill Wood reported that the team will meet with Glenn on April 1. Bill also reported that the Men’s Fellowship will meet Saturday, March 29.
Congregational Care: No report.
Finance: Charles Wright reported that the team has not met and no meeting has been scheduled.
Fellowship: Denise Shiflet reported that the Easter Egg Hunt will be held on April 19. Sharon Moore has agreed to organize this event. The All-Church Birthday Party will be held on May 4. A women’s tea led by Linda Alley will be held on either April 12 or May 25. The Brethren Woods Church Retreat will be held on September 19-21.
Outreach and Missions: No report.
Pastoral Concerns: No report.
Old Business: The Homecoming Committee will consist of the following members: Deb Hoover, Denny Miller, and Faye Wampler.
New Business: The Church Financial Secretary position needs to be filled for next year. Donna asked members to be thinking of names for possible replacement.
Other Business: Polity Review: The following Articles were reviewed and changes made as needed.
- Article #1 – Personnel Selection and Tenure
- Charles Wright made a motion to strike out “including its own membership” and change the polity to state that members of the Gifts and Calling Team should be appointed by the Leadership Team. Jeanette Hess seconded the motion and it was approved.
Marlin Simmons made a motion to strike the whole last sentence of Article IX, paragraph #1 of the constitution. After discussion, it was decided to re-visit this matter at a later meeting.
- Article #3 – Staff Employment Procedures
- No changes. A report/evaluation is needed.
- No changes
- No changes
- Question rose as to whether an annual review is being done? Pastor-yes. Not sure about secretary, custodian, and choir director. Do these positions have contracts in writing?
- Article #4 – Church Officers’ Duties
- Officers defined as Treasurer, Clerk, Financial Secretary, and Moderator
- No changes
- Strike “non-voting”
- No changes
- Audit should fall under direction of Finance Team, not Leadership Team
- Add: The Financial Secretary shall prepare the annual giving statements.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:25 p.m.